About Me

My photo
We're the Lakes, there is a story behind that and it will be revealed sooner or later but for now.. we're nice , a little crazy and lastminute.com .. with an exception of one .. but then even the "one" has moments

Thursday 24 February 2011

When I Get you Alone- Anatomy of a song

And Amanda said with the weirdest expressions " Don't say that, there are people around ", not that I was saying it to her. Before anyone starts having wrong thoughts, I shall reveal that this a is a line from a song called "When I get you alone" by Robin Thicke. I, however heard it first on the all-famous Glee. Anyone who knows me would know that I love, love , love Glee ! I have previously managed to convert Amanda and Lalita to Glee-ism, Kathleen however is resistant. She will soon come around, I believe that. Anyway, the awesomeness of Glee cannot be explained in an entry that include another topic so I'll just go ahead and unravel the dilemma of " Anatomy of a song"
I was walking to library ( no this is not the dilemma, It very well could be though) and i was listening to this song for what could be the 20th time (in an hour slot). I still don't understand how I could have missed the words. Anyway, I was walking over the bridge (Flashbulb memory !! ?? ) when I kinda paid attention to the words other than "When i get you alone" and they go something like this

Baby girl, where you at?
Got no strings, got men attached
Can't stop that feelin' for long no

You makin' dogs wanna beg
Breaking them off your fancy legs

But they make you feel right at home, now

If you pay attention to the words highlighted in a mustard-y colour, you might find your self as flabbergasted as I found my self to be. Now I am not very familiar with most of the English slang words ( and I wouldn't like to be) but I am sure the word "dog" implies " the domesticated form of grey wolf, as both feral and pet varieties" ( Cited in Wikipedia )? Unless its "Dawg" which I have only heard from Randy Jackson on American idol, which by the way I should add , goes over my head. What does it mean?? like "dawg as in you are cool" or "dawg as in you are my pet". Mysteries!!!!!
OK, so back to the lyrics, If someone sang that to me (and hopefully I would have understood the lyrics the first time ) I would have slapped them because I would be insulted. Why would dogs beg to cling to someones legs??. I definitely don't want to know what's going on in that dog's mind. Freud, however would be full of answers (too bad he is not alive to answer) And the most important question of all, How do dogs "clinging" to her legs make her "feel right at home". I have to be missing something.

Another verse goes something like this

Baby girl you da shit

That makes you my equivalent

What !!!! that doesn't even make any sense. "you da shit" ????, i seearched for the word "da" thinking maybe its one of those words that is unknown to me but I came up with a lot things that cannot be substituted in this sentence like:
  • Dark ages
  • Department of agriculture
  • Da! a russian youth mocement :S
I seriously don't understand if he is trying to impress the girl or insult her because frankly I feel its the latter. When I heard it the first time I thought he said

" Baby girl you just shhhh
That makes you my equivalent"

As in that he is speechless by her beauty and if she keeps quite as well, that would make her his equivalent ???. Clearly I was wrong and I know it now.
I could be mistaken in to thinking that he like this girl, he could actually be trying to insult her or something. I am very disappointed actually, i think they don't make meaningful songs anymore, or maybe they do and I just don't understand it.
If you have more knowledge on this topic than I have, then feel free to comment and let me know if:

a. I am an idiot, this is SO not what the lyrics mean
b. Am I seriously telling you that I have just heard this song?
c. I actually make a good point
d. Glee is super cool and I am super cool to watch it

Please be nice :) But hey, I still love the song. The music is too cool and it makes me want to dance. And most importantly The Warblers sang it (In Glee).

So I pray to something she aint bluffin',

Rubbin' up on me
Well does she want me to make a vow?
Well does she want me to make it now?
On my house, on my job
On my loot, shoes, my voice,
My crew, my mind, my father's last name?

When I get you alone

The Dazed and Confused
Emily xxx

P.s I can so picture CG singing this song, he has this (very debatable) attitude problem which would totally go with the lyrics

No comments:

Post a Comment