About Me

My photo
We're the Lakes, there is a story behind that and it will be revealed sooner or later but for now.. we're nice , a little crazy and lastminute.com .. with an exception of one .. but then even the "one" has moments

Wednesday 9 February 2011

7 is the lonliest number

One thing you should probably know. Emily may be the youngest Lake, she may be the smallest, but she is scary as hell when she wants to be. She’s also taken a very unhealthy interest in the welfare and continuation of this blog, which is probably a good thing, because Kathleen and I are so laid back that if we were put in charge the world would probably stop turning before we did anything about, well...anything. It does mean, however, that when she makes any ‘friendly suggestions’ about the blog, you’d better listen up. She’s kind of like the Godfather in that respect, and let’s just say that I like horse’s heads attached to their bodies, thank you very much. Also, blood is almost impossible to wash out. So when she suggested that maybe I should split my latest post into two, of course I hurried straight over here to correct my error! You see, what you are about to read was previously included in the post regarding Bobbette the transvestite prostitute, however she really is too special to be fighting for attention in her own post, so this had to be moved. How silly of me to even make such an amateur mistake.

Where to begin? At the beginning I hear you cry. But who likes to be boring? Not me, that’s for sure, otherwise I probably wouldn’t be a Lake, so I will start right in the middle with... sevwo! For those not in the know (that’s pretty much anyone who isn’t a Lake) it’s actually pronounced sev-oo. You probably think I’ve lost my marbles by this point, but please bear with me a teensy bit longer and at least let me explain. A few weeks ago, I decided to raise awareness on behalf of the poor number 7. My campaign didn’t really get very far; ok, it didn’t get beyond the Lake’s personal message thread on Facebook, but I had good intentions. I swear. I feel that there are certain numbers, such as 7, that do a lot of hard work in everyday life: 7 days of the week, 7 Wonders of the World, 7 continents, 7 Harry Potter books, 7 series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Gilmore Girls.

Yet even after all that, 7 just doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. An example: in shops, prices always end in 0, 5 or 9 (or at least they did, until the VAT increase) and many still do regardless of VAT. I do understand the psychology behind pricing something at 99p rather than £1 (I suffered through 3 excruciating years of business studies at GCSE and A-level, much to my dismay) but I still don’t think it’s right. The general population are not stupid. Newsflash to businesses: anyone who got past year 6 in school usually understands that they are only saving 1 penny, and most people I know (adults with actual money, not impressionable children) are not overly thrilled by that prospect. It’s not working anymore people, you need a new angle! So why not have prices ending in 7? It may not have all the mind-melding, psycho powers of the 9, but at least it might get people interested in your products again. Even better, end prices with a 3. That will really mess them up. People might even be shocked enough to buy the product. And as we all know, shopping is always a good thing.

At this point, you’re probably still wondering what this has to do with sevwo, and I am on the brink of revealing all; be patient! During my 7 craze, all of the Lakes were having a conversation on Facebook, when Emily and Kathleen logged off. Amanda commented that it was just the 2 of us, and still on my 7 roll, I joked that she meant 7. Long story short, I said if you squash the top of a 2 flat, and cut the bottom off, it becomes a 7. Please don’t ask me where the hell I get this stuff from because I honestly have no idea. I’m actually frightened of my brain sometimes because it’s a scary place to be. As it is a 2/7 hybrid, Amanda suggested calling it sevwo (as in seven two), and that’s how it came into being. There is no moral to this story, because I am no Aesop, I’m not that smart, but can you please just spare a thought for the neglected numbers every once in a while? Boycott 0, 5 and 9, the Jordan’s and Victoria Beckham’s of the numerical world (far too much exposure in relation to their actual levels of talent or usefulness).

So here's to 7, may it bring good luck to you

"Fall seven times and stand up eight.”- Japanese proverb

7 loving creature
Love, Lalita xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment